Teen2Teen

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to feel safe asking other teens for answers.

+3
Butterfly
TravM
Maverick
7 posters

The Belief in a higher pwer/God

Maverick
    Maverick
    Mr.1980
    Mr.1980

Male Posts : 718

The Belief in a higher pwer/God Empty The Belief in a higher pwer/God

Post by Maverick Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:54 pm

I personally am an atheist and do not believe in any higher power/godly figure or heaven. Though if there is a hell I'm going straight to it. I according to many sections of the bible state that my not only way of life, but the things I do and think about are sins.

I think if he was so godly i think i would be able to see him, communicate somehow and have firm evidence guaranteeing his existence. There is NO evidence or artifacts giving the proper beliefs.

The bible was written and is a story believe. I mean if you look in "Genesis" stated that, "A man who once lived 700 years" I mean people for example in the 1800's didn't live past their early to mid 20s. So how can you explain someone living that long?

I mean when you look at medicine whiskey was a numb like morphine to them at the time. How could they develop medicine like that back when people couldn't even read or write? Alchemy wasn't really big then either.

Then the whole story of "Virgin Mary" how can you explain her pregnancy? If there was no intercourse then how was "Jesus" conceived? Was she slipped a roofie and just can't remember? I mean these are just a few things to point out.

What are YOUR beliefs on a higher power/God?
    TravM
    TravM
    Famous
    Famous

Male Posts : 635

The Belief in a higher pwer/God Empty Re: The Belief in a higher pwer/God

Post by TravM Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:25 pm

I was a Christian for a week. That about sums up my views.

There isn't proof to back up any of the claims that the bible says, so I chose not to believe in it. I respect Christians and the fact that they want something to believe in, but it's just not for me. I'm gay, so I'm not exactly one of God's angels to begin with. Apparently, I'm a sinner. Very Happy

The bible is like a book of rules of what not to do. I don't want to be shielded from what's really out there. Life is full of risks. Why not take those risks? Life is meant to be lived, after all. I don't need a book of fiction that presents itself as non-fiction to tell me what to do. I'd rather be the one in control of my life.
    Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Administrator
    Administrator

Female Posts : 155

Post by Butterfly Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:32 am

Well, i've been brought up as a christian and in a Christian school, but my own personal opinion is that without actual prove and only the bible to say that God is actually real, i am agnostic. while i do believe that there is someone up there, like maybe in spirit and whatnot, but if god was real and his aim was to help humans and whatever, why are people getting shot, stabbed, and why are there rapists and murderers? if God was actually present he'd be looking out for us, no? he doesn't seem to be doing that. I'm a sinner, hell i'm gay/bisexual, i don't respect authority ect ect.

The bible can't actually be used as a guide to life, sure if you're an accient man or woman with hair growing outta your nose then sure it may apply but at this moment in time the bible is way to old and the teachings in my opinion are a load of shit.

The whole 'virgin' thing with mary makes me be like "yeah it wouldn't have happened like that" sure she may be the mother and whatnot but she sooo had intercourse.
    Maverick
    Maverick
    Mr.1980
    Mr.1980

Post by Maverick Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:57 pm

Like maybe there is a state of mind that you go into once you die? The belief of a higher power is quite baffling to me that I can talk to the sky when I'm hurt, angry etc. And some being will take care of EVERYBODY'S problem like some immortal psychologist/miracle worker. It seems so absurd to me. My family is beat down Catholic and I never believed that everything that I do and will/maybe do will be a sin. "Thou shall not spill their maternal seed" In laymen s terms telling me that if I masturbate that I am indeed sinning. I must be a walking sin because not only am I gay, but I spill my seed :rolleyes:. I have heard that some would rather go through this life believing that there is a God/higher power and die and find out that all that they talked was to themselves then go through life believing there isn't and finding out there is. I think I'll go with B.
    thatgolferboi
    New
    New

Male Posts : 12

Post by thatgolferboi Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:31 am

I personally am a Christian. I have some different views than the normal Christians.
    Maverick
    Maverick
    Mr.1980
    Mr.1980

Post by Maverick Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:04 pm

thatgolferboi wrote: I have some different views than the normal Christians.

Such as?
    thatgolferboi
    New
    New

Post by thatgolferboi Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Maverick wrote:
    Such as?

the 'sin' of homosexuality does not exist.

my view of sin is different than most. Also, I think its more about a relationship with God rather than a list of "cants" and "musts"
    Maverick
    Maverick
    Mr.1980
    Mr.1980

Post by Maverick Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:15 am

thatgolferboi wrote:
    Maverick wrote:
    Such as?

the 'sin' of homosexuality does not exist.

my view of sin is different than most. Also, I think its more about a relationship with God rather than a list of "cants" and "musts"

I'm glad you haven't inherited the "typical" point of view.
    Blood
    Blood
    Known Member
    Known Member

Female Posts : 120

Post by Blood Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:56 pm

Personally, I’m Agnostic. I was a Christian most of my short life. Christianity (and the majority of other religions based on the bible) is like basically following a ton of rules that want you to exclude certain people for who they are. They say not to hate, yet they hate homosexuals. They say their god is such a loving god, yet he damns people to hell if they don’t follow his rules. He even makes those who follow him suffer.

So, do I believe that there’s a god out there? I can’t really say for sure, and I couldn’t care less. If he does exist I definitely won’t be following him any time soon.
    Maverick
    Maverick
    Mr.1980
    Mr.1980

Post by Maverick Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

When I hear the saying, "Damn them all to hell" I laugh because if this "Man, figure, presence whatever the fuck it is" has us as his "Children" no matter what we are, say, do should not dictate if "It" loves us or not. As Jess said above he has made a ton of rules that are smothering and are sheltering and delusions to hide people from the true reality. I mean what the fuck is he going to do to me? The only sort of presence I believe in is karma.

To get back on topic even though he says that "Homosexuality" isn't correct do you really think that you are going to change the way I was born? Do you think you can make me like something that I truly don't? This is not only the land of the free so to speak, but I will not follow some imaginary person's rules I like what I mutha fuckin like. No one will change that not even a "God" or any sort of being.
    Hollywood
    Hollywood
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Posts : 435

Post by Hollywood Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:08 pm

Jess wrote:Personally, I’m Agnostic. I was a Christian most of my short life. Christianity (and the majority of other religions based on the bible) is like basically following a ton of rules that want you to exclude certain people for who they are. They say not to hate, yet they hate homosexuals. They say their god is such a loving god, yet he damns people to hell if they don’t follow his rules. He even makes those who follow him suffer.

So, do I believe that there’s a god out there? I can’t really say for sure, and I couldn’t care less. If he does exist I definitely won’t be following him any time soon.

Perfect. I couldn't say it better myself. I was a Christian for 12 years, I was baptized, the whole package. Everyone says don't judge, judging is bad and sinful, but I can remember hearing in Sunday School how bad Atheists are. The Bible says (somewhere, I forget) to let those who don't want to follow take their own path, or something similar to that. Yet if you aren't following you will have it shoved down your throat until you are.

You can pray in public, have Bible study, ect. However, you'll get mauled if you talk about how god doesn't exist. Religious freedom seems to be a right we're losing.

There are different types of Christians (as said above) some who are just fine and don't constantly bombard you, and others who take things to the extreme. I'm fine being friends with a Christian, I could care less. It's all about how you look at me knowing my beliefs. If you think I'm a sinful being that deserves to go to hell, you're probably right, but fuck off.

I also think it's a bit crazy that they love a god that kills them and forces them to do his bidding, but I'm not here to bash other religions.

I'll believe in god when I see him. And if I don't, well it's his loss.
    TheLatterGoesDown.
    TheLatterGoesDown.

Female Posts : 356

Post by TheLatterGoesDown. Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:37 am

I'm not really sure what I believe in. :/ None of my intermediate family is religious. I've never been baptized. But thinking about the bible, and all of those things they say happened. I'm just not sure anymore. I can't really say I'm a atheist or Christian.
    Hollywood
    Hollywood
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Posts : 435

Post by Hollywood Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:55 am

TheLatterGoesDown. wrote:I'm not really sure what I believe in. :/ None of my intermediate family is religious. I've never been baptized. But thinking about the bible, and all of those things they say happened. I'm just not sure anymore. I can't really say I'm a atheist or Christian.

You might just be agnostic Katie. You can talk to me about this stuff if you want to, I might be able to help.
    thatgolferboi
    New
    New

Post by thatgolferboi Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:14 pm

There are alot of misconceptions about the Bible and how it was translated, why certain books were excluded from the modern 66 book canon, ect. My best advice is to study beyond just reading the text.
    Maverick
    Maverick
    Mr.1980
    Mr.1980

Post by Maverick Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:39 pm

I would rather not view the scripture of the bible. I have had family members try to jam it down my throat. Plus by reading more of it myself. I just find that any or all of it sounds to me like a hoax.
    thatgolferboi
    New
    New

Post by thatgolferboi Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:56 pm

I'm sorry as to the point of friends and family members force feeding it to you. There are things that logically do not make sense, however, that is where faith comes in. I understand where you are coming from, and I think we have a mutual point in your post.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:44 am