Teen2Teen

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to feel safe asking other teens for answers.

+2
Blood
TravM
6 posters

The Transition from Child to Adult

TravM
    TravM
    Famous
    Famous

Male Posts : 635

The Transition from Child to Adult Empty The Transition from Child to Adult

Post by TravM Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:24 pm

It's hard for child/teenage actors to make the transition to adult roles. Has anybody ever noticed this? The Disney Company has been notorious for having it's stars not make the transition well. Tommy Kirk was a child actor who starred in the Disney films such as Old Yeller, The Shaggy Dog, and Swiss Family Robinson in the late '50s/early '60s. Walt Disney had once called Kirk his "lucky charm." When he was 19, it was revealed that he was having a sexual relationship with a 15-year old boy. The Disney Company decided not to renew his contract and he later was typecast in '60s beach party films. He later developed a drug addiction and later opened a carpet store in the San Fernando Valley.

Bobby Driscoll was also one of Disney's right-hand actors. He was in Song of the South and So Dear to My Heart, but you probably know him best as the voice of Peter Pan in the 1953 Disney animated film. After hitting puberty and having a severe case of acne, Disney dropped him. He later went to college, but later dropped out because of the ridicule of his classmates. By this time, Bobby was already experimenting with heroin. He was later charged with assault with a deadly weapon and went to rehab. After moving to New York City penniless, he moved into Manhattan's underground. In 1968, his body was found by two boys in a tenement. The medical examination determined that he had died from heart failure caused by an advanced hardening of the arteries due to longtime drug abuse. It wasn't discovered that the body was his until 1972.

Of course, not all child actors became depressed drug addicts. Some of them basically fade into obscurity such as Hilary Duff, who was once popular in films such as Cheaper by the Dozen, A Cinderella Story, and The Perfect Man. She was probably best known on Disney's Lizzie McGuire. She hasn't released an album since 2007 (She is actaully not signed to a record label, at the moment) and her last film was released to ABC Family. She is however living peacefully and engaged.

Not all child actors that can't progress to adult roles are associated with Disney. Anyone remember Danny Bonaduce? Yeah, I don't either but I've heard of him. Apparently after starring in the Partridge Family, he became drug addicted and lived in his car behind the Grauman's Chinese Theater. He later waxed his eyebrow on TruTV. Drew Barrymore was snorting cocaine by the time she was 13 and entered rehab for the second time when she was 14 when she attempted suicide. She lost her career for a while but made a comeback in the '90s after starring in Poison Ivy, Wayne's World 2, Scream, The Wedding Singer, and Never Been Kissed. So, technically, she did become famous as an adult actress.

The most recent troubled child actor I can think of is probably Lindsay Lohan. It's hard for me to think that barely six years ago, a lot of people liked her and she was hot. Cocaine posession and two DUI's later, she's one of the most hated actresses in Hollywood. Unlike other child actors, she made the transition to an adult actress well starring as Meryl Streep's daughter in Robert Altman's final film, A Prairie Home Companion. She also starred in Emilio Estevez's Bobby with Elijah Wood, Sharon Stone, Demi Moore, Martin Sheen, and Estevez himself. She also starred with Jane Fonda and Felicity Huffman in Georgia Rule. Now, after the DUI's and a few Razzie Awards for I Know Who Killed Me, she has lost a lot of film deals. She was supposed to star as Heather Graham's role (Jade the Stripper) in The Hangover, but she didn't like the script (That's a dumbass move Razz) She is however going to star in Robert Rodriguez's Machete (a film based off of his and Tarantino's film, Grindhouse). I hope she experiences the comeback that Barrymore did because, in my opinion, she's really talented. Even Jamie Lee Curtis, Meryl Streep, Tina Fey, Emilio Estevez, Jane Fonda, and a few other talented actors have expressed their fondness of her acting.

Some other notable mentions include Britney Spears - I'm not even going to try and write a paragraph about all of her problems. Dana Plato, Corey Feldman and Haim, Gary Coleman, and Jodie Sweetin are other actors who couldn't make the transition. It's hard to be taken seriously as an actor when you'll always be remembered as that fresh-faced young child in whatever film or TV Show they were in.

Vanessa Hudgens, star of High School Musical (ew), had some unflattering photos her leaked online, yet she still has a career. It makes me wonder where Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, and the "Jo Bros" will be in ten years. For being only 17, Miley Cyrus causes a lot of controversy with photo shoots, music videos, poles at Kids Choice Awards, and giving lap dances to 45-year old film producers who are gay. I think that tops anything Britney or Lindsay did at that age. Where do you think this set of "young Hollywood" kids will be in ten years? This includes Semi, Delena, and all those other Disney Channel kids. Smile
    Blood
    Blood
    Known Member
    Known Member

Female Posts : 120

The Transition from Child to Adult Empty Re: The Transition from Child to Adult

Post by Blood Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:49 pm

I hate all of them.
    Maverick
    Maverick
    Mr.1980
    Mr.1980

Male Posts : 718

Post by Maverick Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:25 pm

I think the only 2 actors that really made it and still are good and hot are Dylan and Cole Sprouse. They played in the movie with Adam Sandler "Big Daddy". Now they a do "The suite life of zach and whatever the other kids name is". Otherwise I hate all of them.
    TravM
    TravM
    Famous
    Famous

Post by TravM Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:29 pm

I love that movie.

"I wipe my own ass! I wipe my own ass!"

They were cute.
    ryanlol
    ryanlol
    Infamous
    Infamous

Male Posts : 372

Post by ryanlol Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:38 am

I think Selena Gomez will make it as an adult. She seems to know what she's doing, and isn't letting her people make her desicions. She knows what she wants. So did Lindsay, but she also wanted drugs unfortnatley...
    Maverick
    Maverick
    Mr.1980
    Mr.1980

Male Posts : 718

Post by Maverick Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:44 am

Lindsey Lohan is in jail again this time for 90 days. She's not the smartest girl in town. Nor does her style look as good anymore. To me she almost looks frumpy.
    Hollywood
    Hollywood
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Male Posts : 435

Post by Hollywood Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:00 pm

I think the fame is too much for a child to deal with. Which is why all of them turn out so damn bad.
    ryanlol
    ryanlol
    Infamous
    Infamous

Post by ryanlol Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

I think Miley's doing a good job keeping up with her age, but she's really shedding her audience as well as her image. Little kids don't want to see that... I DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT. Smile
    TravM
    TravM
    Famous
    Famous

Post by TravM Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:44 pm

I think Selena Gomez will make it as an adult. She seems to know what she's doing, and isn't letting her people make her desicions. She knows what she wants. So did Lindsay, but she also wanted drugs unfortnatley...

Selena Gomez? Maybe. She could either go the Lindsay way (become REALLY famous and popular, then have it all crashing down) or the Hilary way (become REALLY famous and popular, then basically fade into obscurity). I admit I haven't seen her doing any risque, I guess, so hopefully she makes it through. HOPEFULLY. I really don't like her or her show, but I'm not going to wish her to lose her career, end up making bad decisions, ect. Like Selena (as you said above), Lindsay made her own decisions as well. And look where that has gotten her, so Selena could end up the same route. Hopefully not, but still she's 17. She can fuck up at any moment.

Lindsey Lohan is in jail again this time for 90 days. She's not the smartest girl in town. Nor does her style look as good anymore. To me she almost looks frumpy.

She used to look great in almost anything she wore. Now, she looks...meh. Def. not the smartest girl.

I think the fame is too much for a child to deal with. Which is why all of them turn out so damn bad.

I agree with this. When people have fame and fortune, they have power. Which is why these nightclubs were allowing actresses like Drew Barrymore and Lohan in when they were only 13 and 17.

I think Miley's doing a good job keeping up with her age, but she's really shedding her audience as well as her image. Little kids don't want to see that... I DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT.

Is this sarcastic? lol I can't really tell. In my opinion, Miley Cyrus is a doing a horrible job. The Disney Company practically has a holds over these girls until their about 17. As soon as Britney and Lindsay had become 17, they started being themselves, meaning that they didn't have to worry about swearing on TV, doing somewhat revealing photo shoots, etc. They become themselves over time, in a sense. Miley is willingly portraying herself as the bad girl, something Spears or Lohan didn't. Over time, they became the bad girl by being themselves unlike Miley, who is trying to be the bad girl. She's using poles to stand up on ice cream carts at the KIDS Choice Awards, a place infested with KIDS. She's giving lap dances at 17 to middle-aged gay film producers. WTF. Britney and Lindsay didn't become 'bad' until around like 26 and 21. I honestly think that Miley is the going to become the next "train wreck." On the other hand, she has a support system that doesn't enable her, unlike Britney (her mother's a fame whore, but her father FINALLY stepped in) and Lindsay (her mother's a fame whore, but her father didn't step in because he's practically a fame whore too). Miley has her father for support and many other people. Hopefully, she'll keep her head on straight...but I doubt it.
    CantBeTamed
    CantBeTamed
    Fledged
    Fledged

Male Posts : 89

Post by CantBeTamed Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:55 am

Lindsay Lohan Is For Sure A Prime Example Of Child Star Downfall
    ryanlol
    ryanlol
    Infamous
    Infamous

Post by ryanlol Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:38 am

CantBeTamed wrote:Lindsay Lohan Is For Sure A Prime Example Of Child Star Downfall

I can see her making a comeback if she gets the help she needs. IMO, she needs to stay in prison for her whole sentance, or more than 2 weeks of it, see some doctors and get a psychiatric assessment and go back to rehab. She's a great actress, she's just fallen off the rails.

She has the talent, no one can deny that, but she's running out of time, her friends and family are letting her continue down that dark path she's been going down for the last few years. I fear that if she doesn't get the help she needs, she won't be around anymore.
    CantBeTamed
    CantBeTamed
    Fledged
    Fledged

Post by CantBeTamed Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:48 am

ryanlol wrote:
    CantBeTamed wrote:Lindsay Lohan Is For Sure A Prime Example Of Child Star Downfall

I can see her making a comeback if she gets the help she needs. IMO, she needs to stay in prison for her whole sentance, or more than 2 weeks of it, see some doctors and get a psychiatric assessment and go back to rehab. She's a great actress, she's just fallen off the rails.

She has the talent, no one can deny that, but she's running out of time, her friends and family are letting her continue down that dark path she's been going down for the last few years. I fear that if she doesn't get the help she needs, she won't be around anymore.

I Hope She Makes A Comeback I Wanna See Her Do More Music
    TravM
    TravM
    Famous
    Famous

Post by TravM Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Lindsay Lohan Is For Sure A Prime Example Of Child Star Downfall

True.

If she does have as many problems as people say, then her friends and family are enabling her. They're not allowing her to do these things, but they're not stopping her either. IMO, her mom is a fame whore. She sang and dance when she was a child and never had the success that Lindsay had, and I'm guessing she was probably jealous of that. She even lied about being a Radio City Hall Rockette. Her father is a convict who had been in jail most of Lindsay's childhood. Her parents are truly fucking up their daughter, if she is what the public knows her to be.

I honestly read everything about her with a grain of salt. Magazines/tabloids are intended to sell and will say anything just to get money. Don't get me wrong, these stories usually have a bit of truth to them. But as they get reported again and again, the truth gets deluded by opinions. She has stated many times that she's alright at the moment and not taking drugs. I honestly think she's smarter than what most people put her out to be from all what she has said:

1) "If I were wearing a black dress and my hair in a bun, it'd be like 'Oh, Lindsay's back on track.'"

2) "I've changed my point of view in recent years. When I started working in the industry, I wanted to get to the very top — and I was painted as something completely different from what I really was. Nowadays in Hollywood it is so much more about celebrities and gossip, which can distract many great actors from their actual ability. The public comes to know so much about these people that it gets superimposed upon their work in movies. The media creates its images in just seconds, so they can interpret reality as they imagine it. If I sneeze, photos are published, in which I am said to be 'weeping bitterly'. And if I keep my hand in front of my mouth and nose, it's the same, 'I was hung-over and had a hard night of heavy partying' behind me. You can't imagine to what extent this has been accepted."

At the moment, I consider Lohan as a model/actress. She seems to work on her modeling more and to be frank, I like her as a model. She can do what she wants with what she calls her career at the moment, but I hope the best for her in her personal life. To be honest, she seems like the modern day Marilyn Monroe.

I Hope She Makes A Comeback I Wanna See Her Do More Music

I used to like her music more, but now I'll barely listen to it. It's not really my type of thing now. There are a few songs that are great by her, but I don't like the fact that Disney stars (even if she is a former star) can get a music deal that quickly, such as Miley. Mad
    CantBeTamed
    CantBeTamed
    Fledged
    Fledged

Post by CantBeTamed Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:55 pm

I used to like her music more, but now I'll barely listen to it. It's not really my type of thing now. There are a few songs that are great by her, but I don't like the fact that Disney stars (even if she is a former star) can get a music deal that quickly, such as Miley.
    I Listen To Her Still I Really Listen To All Kinds Of Music

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am